The goals of this module are to teach students about the following key concepts:
- What is biodiversity?
- How are insects important?
- What are Hymenoptera? Most wasps are minute and do not sting humans.
- Why are wasps and bees important?
- What is the superfamily Chalcidoidea and how are they important?
- Why should we increase insect biodiversity?
- How common and how diverse are Hymenoptera on the school campus and other habitats?
- How we can increase biodiversity in the school and home environment?
How This Module Fits Into the NGSS
Teachers can download a video presentation of a graduate student at UCR presenting a class lesson on Biodiversity. There are several ways to download this lesson depending on teacher preference:
- Video link on youtube: YouTube video Coming soon.
- Full version of powerpoint presentation: Powerpoint Warning! Large file, 500+MB
- The above presentation in 4 parts: Powerpoint 1 Powerpoint 2 Powerpoint 3 Powerpoint 4
Teachers can download a list of potential questions to ask students at ‘interactive points’ highlighted during the presentation. Word document
Students can evaluate the material using this form. Word document
Please help us improve this site or lesson plan. We welcome your input! Provide your email address, position, school and comments.